Sunday, April 10, 2016

Illustrated Works

In "You Gotta BE the Book" Wilhelm brings in illustrated works for students to read. They became very interested in them, wanting more to read- even though before they did not have much interest in reading. He has a great thought written in his journal, "I just have to wonder if school conveys a very limited view of literature that does not include picture books and comics, and if this limited view of literature contributes to how bummed out and distanced many of my student readers become from literature and the literary experience."

They were reading "Maus" which was actually the common read this year at WMU. I felt very alike the students that read it in this book. I remember thinking, "Wow! This book is amazing. I actually understood what was going on. I also learned more about history than in my history class." The illustrations helped to engage me and helped me to understand the story. In comparison, I read many text books without pictures in history, and learned much less.

Going back to the thought he had written in his journal... We are not exposed to this type of literature in school as much as we should be. It took me until my freshman year of college to read a book like this. And I wish I had read many more WAY earlier.

The students in this book felt this same way. He then takes this style of literature and asks the students to illustrate different stories. This is a great idea to get the students thinking about how all stories would look if they were illustrated.

Here's a LINK about the benefits of illustrations :)

3 comments:

  1. Megan, I just wrote a response that somehow got deleted, so I'll try again :)

    Wilhelm has a lot of good ideas for incorporating art and reading. I think that getting students actively involved in reading, whether it's through art, drama, or writing, is really essential.

    Also, I loved reading MAUS this fall. I think it would be a really impactful book for high school students. The English dept. is offering a fall class on graphic novels (I think MAUS is included) and the professor is fantastic. If there are still spots available, I highly recommend it! They are also doing some YA books that would be good for teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you enjoyed Maus, I would recommend reading American Born Chinese. The two are different regarding content but they would both be good when it comes incorporating other writing styles into our classrooms. It'll be important for us as teachers to adopt new styles and personalize the curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think that illustration can help. I know it is nice to have pictures to look at while reading, personally it just enhances the experience for me. There are some times when I have trouble visualizing certain things, and the pictures can help a lot with that.

    ReplyDelete